Thursday, December 15, 2005

Maadhangalil aval Margazhi!

It's Margazhi tomorrow! and for me, Margazhi is so full of mixed experiences!! Just recollecting some of them. My Margazhi Autograph!!

School days:
This is half-yearly exams time, with a cold climate that you never feel like getting off the bed....I usually, give myself 5 mins leverage and continue to extend that. 5 mins..5 more mins, 5 more mins... But the problem is, my big mommy is up by 4.00!! She whacks, and wakes me up! She, not only makes sure that I am out of bed, but also ensures, I don't doze off at the study table.. On the study table, I'll almost close my eyes and suddenly hear her voice...
'Yadhvi!! Ethana dhadavai koopidaradhu? Stove ai niruthu..sonnen illa? 4 whistles ku apuram niruthunu!! Naivedhya Pongal ippo koozh aagidum... padikaama thoongariya?!!!'

(uphh..1st whistle kaetuchu...2nd, 3rd, 4th? appo naan ZZzzzz...)

College Days:
In her anxiousness to make me get some involvement into the culture and customs, my mom passed a law. I should get up at 4.00 and draw a kolam at the entrance before my mom is ready for prayers. I agreed!(as though I can refuse..)the deal being, I can go back to sleep after finishing my kolam! When I agreed, little did I realise that I was falling into a trap!
As it is am bad at drawing! Idhule, paadhi thookathile, ezhundhu, dots count panni vechu, lines join panni kolathai mudikuradhukulle thookame poidum...Idhu ellam andha jil climate le, Eeramaana vaasalle...
Going back to sleep was out of question! appadiye iruttle aandhai madhiri muzhichitu utkandhu irupen, counting the whistles accurately.
Soon, I discovered a counter law, Murphy's type. The lesser the time you spend on the kolam, greater the possibility to get back to sleep. What started as '15 pulli kolam', soon became '5 pulli kolam' much to my mother’s dismay.

Work Days:
These days, amma has become very considerate. 'Paavam ponnu night 11ku dhan vandha' or probably she thinks I'll be married off soon or probably she thinks she just can't instill it in me. She never wakes me up! I get up at around 7.00 come out of the room and feel a little guilty that her prayers are almost over! The Suprabatham, Sahasranamam CD is all done!

Today:
Today, on the eve of Margazhi, I am planning to get up early, bathe and read Thirupaavai everyday!!

Why? Why the change in me?
Am I getting old?
Is the customs & culture finally into me?
Is it because they say 'You will get a good husband’?
Is it because scientifically, the ozone layer is a li'l lower and is good for health?

Well, I don't know the reason. But I am sure it will make mom happy and me a little content! Will I stick to this for the entire month?! Well, that is for time to answer!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One advantage during margazhi. No horoscope exchangings and match makings. Peace for the single lot :-D

I remember some crazy mohan or SV Sekar Drama. Margazhi thingaL suda suda pongal or something!

I really miss the pongal. Sigh!

srivat said...

Yadhvi,
Thats a good one.I used to wake up to see my mom finish her kolam during my school days.I think I will be able to do the same for the next month because of my office timings.Its a pity that most of the people have stared living in apartments that they dont get a place for kolam.So I miss those beautiful kolam('s) early in the morning nowadays.:-D

Yadhvi said...

ferrari,
Did you miss a 'dis' before advantage? 'GF venum' paadina ferrari ya idhu? split personalityyo?
abt suda, suda pongal...well my next post is dedicated to you!

Yadhvi said...

Thanks. and you srivat, did you say you miss the beautiful 'KOLAM'? am I seeing it right?
These days, those in houses, put the kolam the previous night!! so that they don't have to get up!

Anonymous said...

Yadhvi. Adhu vera. Idhu vera ;-)